“Driving under the influence of alcohol/drugs,” is a growing concern within the state of Florida. As such, Florida laws are very stringent and tough. A DUI charge and/or conviction may cause a loss of license, a criminal record, jail time, community service, probation, and an increase in insurance premiums.
An individual who is charged with a DUI, and is arrested, will automatically lose his or her license 10 days after the arrest. An individual who takes a breathalyzer test and blows over the legal limit of 0.08 will have his or her driver’s license suspended for six months. In addition, if you refuse to submit to a breathalyzer test, blood test, and/or urine test, your driver’s license may be suspended for 12 months. Therefore, obtaining legal representation is important. Upon obtaining legal representation, your attorney must stipulate to a formal hearing, which will be held by the Department of Motor Vehicles. This hearing acts as the only avenue for the DUI defendant to plead his or her case and have his or her license reinstated, with no penalty.
The following are certain things that the DUI defendant should immediately record, to aid in his or her defense:
- Any facts that, may have affected your balance. (Medications, personal injuries, lack of)
- What the surface conditions of where you took your sobriety test looked and felt like. (Flat, paved, clean, leveled, muddy, uneven grass, etc.)
- Whether the officer’s headlights and strobe were flashing in your direction.
- Whether the officers observed you for at least 20 minutes, prior to subjecting you to a sobriety test.
- Whether or not you were your Miranda Warnings, at what point.
- Why the police officers pulled your vehicle over (Weaving, speeding, etc.)
- Whether or not you were drinking prior to the arrest.
- Whether or not you for a calibration of the officer’s field sobriety/breathalyzer unit.
- Whether or not the arresting officer you would lose your license If you did not submit to the sobriety test.
- Whether or not you were told by the officer to continually keep blowing into the sobriety test unit.
Hire an experience DUI Defense Attorney in Tampa Bay
This is a non-exhaustive list of issues that may aid in your defense and result in a dismissal! If you or a loved one has been charged and arrested for a DUI, do not wait to contact the aggressive lawyers of Melkonian. P.A.
There is never a cost to contact us. All consultations are completely free. If you hire us, there are no fees or costs if we make no recovery for you.